The Sexuality and Space Specialty Group (SXSSG) of the Association of American Geographers (AAG) is pleased to announce the 2019 SXSSG Student Paper Competition! We are seeking high-quality student papers that make an original contribution to the study of sexuality and space. First-place winners will receive a prize of $165 to cover early-bird conference registration costs as well as a ticket for the Annual AAG Awards Luncheon. Second-place winners will receive a prize of $75. Winners will be notified prior to the 2019 Annual Meeting of the AAG in Washington, D.C.
The submission deadline is Monday, January 14, 2019.
Potential topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Queer and trans political resistance;
- Community and political formations of queer and trans people of color around the world;
- Black queer and trans cultures and political action;
- Intersections of heteronormativity and racism, colonialism, ableism, and poverty;
- Queer and trans health geographies;
- Queer culture and performance;
- LGBT and queer urbanisms;
- Indigenous queer, trans, and Two-Spirit communities and movements;
- Heterosexualities and domesticities;
- Sexual landscapes;
- Queer and trans ecologies, natures, and post-humanisms;
- Queer historical geographies;
- Queer and trans Geographic Information Systems (GIS);
- Queer gentrification;
- Queer and trans Black, Indigenous, and people of colour (QTBIPOC) historiography, collective organizing, cartographies of violence and building communities of care and healing;
- Queer and trans methodologies; or
- Queer and trans migrations.
Any student currently enrolled in an undergraduate, master’s, or doctoral degree program in Geography or a related discipline may submit a paper written in the past year. Papers are welcomed from students at institutions in or outside of the United States. Students do not necessarily have to be presenting a paper at the 2019 Annual Meeting of the AAG to be eligible for an award.
- Papers must include a cover page with your name, college/university, program/department, degree pursuing (bachelor’s, master’s, etc.), paper title, postal address, telephone, and email address;
- Papers must have a 100-200 word abstract;
- Papers must be 4000-6000 words in length (including explanatory footnotes/endnotes, but excluding references);
- Figures and images must be included in an appendix rather than embedded within the text;
- Papers must be properly referenced, although students may choose the citation style they think appropriate; and
- Papers must be in English.
Please attach your paper in an email addressed to the SXSSG Awards Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Acceptable formats include PDF, Microsoft Word document, or other standard word processing program file. All submissions will be acknowledged by email; if you do not receive an acknowledgment within 7 days, then please try sending your paper again.
Service to Specialty Group:
The first and second place winners of the paper competition will be invited to Co-Chair the SXSSG Awards Committee for next year’s student paper competition. The responsibilities will include authoring next year’s call for papers, collecting submissions, soliciting reviewers from the SXSSG membership, and determining a review process to judge the submissions. Serving as the Co-Chairs of the Awards Committee offers graduate students an opportunity to become involved in the specialty group, gain experience authoring a CFP, serve as board members for an AAG specialty group (great addition to your CV!), become involved in the discipline, and meet people doing similar work. Please note that the winners are not obligated to accept the invitation and can feel free to decline without worry of forfeiting their award or damaging their relationship with SXSSG.
Download the CFP here.